Skip to main content




Summer is drawing to an end and I feel like my life is that scene from Dirty Dancing when they have the talent show and everyone is all sad because everything is about to be over. 

From approximately April till October, but more specifically from June to September, I live at camp. Camp is the Slipper Rock campground. It's just off the freeway on the left hand side of I79N, the exit before Grove City. If you don't blink, you can't miss it! This is a magical place where friends become family and you have adult adventures that make you feel like a kid again. 

My family always camped while I was young, my Dad would drop us off up in Pymatuning and come back after his work week. We rode bikes and played in the woods and swam in the dirty little lake. That was childhood. We had each other and all the other kids in the camp who's parents did the same thing. We couldn't have asked for more or better, well except more money for the camp store ice cream. 

There was always the natural rhythm to things and as the nights started to get cooler and we had to close up for the season, our faces would LONG and our moods would get SAD. We hated the end of summer and freedom. 

When I think about that today and how I still hate the end of summer and freedom. When I am at camp, I feel free. Free to hang out in my hammock or read a book, or go swimming in the creek or the pool. I feel free to make new friends and enjoy being outside. How can you ever beat the freedom to make a fire for breakfast hahha? 

Why is parting such sweet sorrow? I love having something to look forward to. I love thinking about what adventures are ahead. Everything begins and ends and begins and ends, the cycle keeps playing out. We get the chance to enjoy it over and over. That's how I am going to try to look at things when we close up this year. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have to believe in God?

Do you have to believe in God?  Wow what a loaded question! Recently, a new friend asked me this , thanks Dawn. How would I "do what I do" without a belief system that honors the Creator of the infinite universes in existence? I believe it would be impossible for me ,  but you may or may not be able to "do what you do" without that same belief system.  When I say "do what you do" I mean, live your life. There are many components to living.. like how you do your work, parent your children, make your decisions about how you spend your time and energy and loyalty. You can function well without any sort of belief system that includes a scripted version of God/ess, Great Spirit, Higher consciousness... the God of your understanding for lack of anything else to say since the list could go on and on. You may simply prescribe to a moral code of right and wrong. Your code of ethics may be more or less evolved than that too. Who should say? We live in a

Doing your part...

  Luca This week, I got to spend some time with my 3 year old great-nephew Luca. We were playing outside where he has a play station that reminds me of a pirate ship, in the yard were some magnetic fishing poles...we used those poles to chase my sister's dog around. That dog is a Cane Corso, he's a 190 lb love muffin named Mac. We pretended that the dog was a huge fish, we laughed and got dirty and I got stuck trying to cram my fat ass in his pirate house and even knocked the doors off when I tried to climb out and FELL over. We laughed like 3 year olds do when they play. We eventually ended up in the front yard when Luca casually turned on the hose and well, my mom and I gave him a wet sweatshirt contest..LOL!  This kid makes me laugh and remember why we do all the grown up things we do. We do them, so that we can love on our people. We do the things we do, because we have bills to pay and we have to make a living, but when it all boils down, what we really want is to laugh an