Skip to main content




Summer is drawing to an end and I feel like my life is that scene from Dirty Dancing when they have the talent show and everyone is all sad because everything is about to be over. 

From approximately April till October, but more specifically from June to September, I live at camp. Camp is the Slipper Rock campground. It's just off the freeway on the left hand side of I79N, the exit before Grove City. If you don't blink, you can't miss it! This is a magical place where friends become family and you have adult adventures that make you feel like a kid again. 

My family always camped while I was young, my Dad would drop us off up in Pymatuning and come back after his work week. We rode bikes and played in the woods and swam in the dirty little lake. That was childhood. We had each other and all the other kids in the camp who's parents did the same thing. We couldn't have asked for more or better, well except more money for the camp store ice cream. 

There was always the natural rhythm to things and as the nights started to get cooler and we had to close up for the season, our faces would LONG and our moods would get SAD. We hated the end of summer and freedom. 

When I think about that today and how I still hate the end of summer and freedom. When I am at camp, I feel free. Free to hang out in my hammock or read a book, or go swimming in the creek or the pool. I feel free to make new friends and enjoy being outside. How can you ever beat the freedom to make a fire for breakfast hahha? 

Why is parting such sweet sorrow? I love having something to look forward to. I love thinking about what adventures are ahead. Everything begins and ends and begins and ends, the cycle keeps playing out. We get the chance to enjoy it over and over. That's how I am going to try to look at things when we close up this year. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything has a deeper meaning

During a recent conversation with my therapist, I brought up the subject that I think everything has a deeper meaning.  I do like to think about those deeper meanings when I have the time. There's a saying that we "make time for what's important". Which seems to be the well spring for this blog. I'm making time for deeper reflection because it is important to me. What do you "make time" for? Creating music or art or  poetry? I used to write so much poetry that Ifeel like it fell out of me when Iwalked. Do you make time for friends, family, pets or a social club? Alicia (my wife) and I play poker in the Elite Poker league. We play for different reasons. She is super social. Have you met her? That's why we get along so well in that we are complete opposites in every way, especially in that she is super social and well, I am NOT. I like to observe people's behavior and she likes to engage. SO poker is the perfect place for us both to participate in ...
 Why don't psychics win the lottery? Lots of times when I meet new people, they think it's funny to ask me for winning Lottery numbers. I think it's funny too and I have wondered about this same thing for many years.  Lottery balls are inanimate objects, they don't have energy. As a reader, I connect to energy, living with or without a body, but as for inanimate objects, like helping folks locate lost keys, just not my thing. There are psychics who do that sort of thing, but in all honesty, I've not asked one if they tried lottery numbers.  Once in a class I was teaching, I charted 3 digit lottery numbers for a month. My "win" percentage under that parameter was about 35%, not too bad yet I'd make no claim to be any higher than someone who is not intuitive. Though I would have won quite a bit if I bet every day. Those odds weren't enough for me to feel confident advertising that I could do it. I still feel the same...lottery numbers aren't my t...
It's been a while.  I forgot that I started this blog. That's the peril of the woman who has had a stroke in the past, out of sight out of mind quite literally. So I hope everyone is well, and that you are happy this summer.  It has been a colder than normal summer hasn't it? I've only been in the pool twice yet this summer, between all the raindrops and a weird schedule, it just seems I haven't had much a chance to get in the water.  Shame.... it's a great stress reliever and brings me such sensual joy. Makes me wonder if you are taking good care of yourself? Are you making time for joy? for release? for exploration? what do you do that's purely for you?  I escape by reading and if I can sit by the ocean or pool, I feel like I have had a real vacation. I can not be alone in the hopes of having many small vacations each year :) lol! Our souls need a chance to just BE. Since we are human being ( humans... being) not humans doing. We would benefit by actually ...