Skip to main content

 Cancel Culture


There's been so much buzz lately about "cancel culture" that I could not NOT write about it. Do you know what it means? Cancel Culture is a term that refers to when  someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person. Those who are subject to this ostracism are said to have been "cancelled" 

The latest victim to lay at the the cancel culture throne? Chris Harrison of the famed Bachelor series. TO be honest, I do watch the show/s ( OHH the shame!!) .  I don't even like the shows, so I am not sure why I keep up with them. I don't like the premise of the show, I don't like how the platform deifies the bachelors and in many ways villifies the bachelorettes for doing the same thing as the main male characters. I don't like the shows so much that by the end of each pilot episode, I am yelling at the TV hahhaahah. I guess I keep watching for the same reason we can't turn away from a train wreck, knowing it's gonna happen and morbid curiosity keeps you mezmorized. 

Chris Harrison is the host of the shows, he had seemed the most benign part of the show up to now, just walking in every once in a while to explain something what has happened or to stir the pot a bit and then leave. But now the entire world is on high alert for what he did or didn't do and everyone has an opinion. 

I think that's the thing about cancel culture. Everyone has an opinion, and yes, everyone is talking, yet no one feels heard. I  am pretty sure that's what cancel culture is all about. Thrust someone out of the spotlight because they had too much power and they abused it by having an opinion that differs from the acceptable norm, the standard that society has deemed the right way to think. Ostracize them for having an unpopular opinion. 

I am not saying that some folks who have a platform don't use the platform to espouse stupidity. I am not saying some people aren't idiots...oh my, that's not what I am saying at all. I am saying  some people are complete freaking idiots and just because they HAVE a platform doesn't mean we should expect them to act like Mother Theresa. Not everyone is going to say the right thing at the right time, and people reveal themselves all the time to be racist, elitist, homophobic, trtansphobic, jerks.... (the list could go on and on). Our job as people may simply be to align to a higher truth and decide what we need to take ACTION against. We can decide to be constructive with our complaining. To use our words in a very direct, focused and intentional way. 

I am certainly open to hearing everyone's thoughts on cancel culture, but these are mine. 

Use your outrage for something productive, but for goodness sakes, notice that you are outraged, and notice that you NEED to feel heard. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have to believe in God?

Do you have to believe in God?  Wow what a loaded question! Recently, a new friend asked me this , thanks Dawn. How would I "do what I do" without a belief system that honors the Creator of the infinite universes in existence? I believe it would be impossible for me ,  but you may or may not be able to "do what you do" without that same belief system.  When I say "do what you do" I mean, live your life. There are many components to living.. like how you do your work, parent your children, make your decisions about how you spend your time and energy and loyalty. You can function well without any sort of belief system that includes a scripted version of God/ess, Great Spirit, Higher consciousness... the God of your understanding for lack of anything else to say since the list could go on and on. You may simply prescribe to a moral code of right and wrong. Your code of ethics may be more or less evolved than that too. Who should say? We live in a

Doing your part...

  Luca This week, I got to spend some time with my 3 year old great-nephew Luca. We were playing outside where he has a play station that reminds me of a pirate ship, in the yard were some magnetic fishing poles...we used those poles to chase my sister's dog around. That dog is a Cane Corso, he's a 190 lb love muffin named Mac. We pretended that the dog was a huge fish, we laughed and got dirty and I got stuck trying to cram my fat ass in his pirate house and even knocked the doors off when I tried to climb out and FELL over. We laughed like 3 year olds do when they play. We eventually ended up in the front yard when Luca casually turned on the hose and well, my mom and I gave him a wet sweatshirt contest..LOL!  This kid makes me laugh and remember why we do all the grown up things we do. We do them, so that we can love on our people. We do the things we do, because we have bills to pay and we have to make a living, but when it all boils down, what we really want is to laugh an
Summer is drawing to an end and I feel like my life is that scene from Dirty Dancing when they have the talent show and everyone is all sad because everything is about to be over.  From approximately April till October, but more specifically from June to September, I live at camp. Camp is the Slipper Rock campground. It's just off the freeway on the left hand side of I79N, the exit before Grove City. If you don't blink, you can't miss it! This is a magical place where friends become family and you have adult adventures that make you feel like a kid again.  My family always camped while I was young, my Dad would drop us off up in Pymatuning and come back after his work week. We rode bikes and played in the woods and swam in the dirty little lake. That was childhood. We had each other and all the other kids in the camp who's parents did the same thing. We couldn't have asked for more or better, well except more money for the camp store ice cream.  There was always the